Life After Beau

These are just a few things I've written. In this emotionally chaotic time, it helps to organize my thoughts.
Thank you for sharing this life with me.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Music

My musical taste has been described as schizophrenic, and I think that's pretty accurate.  I listen to everything from Neil Diamond, to angry loud punk music (including Irish-punk), to the Beastie Boys, Karen Carpenter (So? at least I admit it), some jazz, indie rock, Indigo Girls, Johnny Cash, The Flaming Lips, 50's bubblegum oldies, the list goes on and on.......and if I've had a couple beers and 80's music starts playing on the dance floor, move over Elaine from Seinfeld, here I come! :)  There are some pop songs that play on the radio that I can get into, but for the most part, that's the only type of music I DON'T like.

And for some reason lately, I have been playing a Dolly Parton album and really appreciating the beauty of her voice.

I found this video on You Tube with Dolly and Norah Jones, and I love both their voices.  It's one of Dolly's songs about love and loss and how she had to think in terms of "opposites" in order to survive her new life without her love.  I love this performance because of the beauty of their music, and how they were able to illustrate the absurdity of a pain felt so deep.  I think of it as a metaphor for how quickly life can turn upside down. 

Here's a peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5B039WRrGA

love,
minnow

3 comments:

  1. I really LOVE Dolly Parton. Love her! This song is beautiful. I appreciate your wild range in music. I can't limit myself to on genre either. Ol' skool rap, classical, ol' country, blue grass, 90's grunge rock, hip-hop.... love it all depending on the mood I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A terrific song. Thanks for sharing the link! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful song and video...thank you for sharing that with us Minnow! And yes, I agree, it speaks to any person who has had their lives turned upside down by the loss of someone they love. So very sadly, this would include the entire human race...everyone should listen to this song, don't you think.

    I absolutely love the huge music range that you have! I love many different types of music too, but I do think your range is even bigger than mine. Which is a great thing!

    I hope to see you do the Elaine (from Seinfeld) dance some day! He...He...He That was such a hilarious TV show! :)

    XXOO
    Lori

    ReplyDelete